Saturday, January 29, 2011

Light Box Final Model

For this project we had to make a five-sided box (one side open for viewing) out of either corrugated cardboard or foam core.  The exterior of the box could be any color but the interior had to be white.  The overall dimensions of the box had to be 12" x 12" x 18", with one 12" x 12" end left open.

Then using a remote light source, such as a desk lamp, flash light, etc. that shines through a series of openings in the box, creating a pattern of light within the box that divides the space into four parts.

Then for the second portion of this project we had to incorporate bamboo skewers and/or white bristol board into the box to articulate/modulate the planes and accentuate the light and shadows.

For my light box I used foam core that was white on one side and then the other side was white with grey speckles all over it.  For my light source I used a small LED flash light.  For my first model I cut two different sets of triangles on the top side.  One set of triangles were fairly small and then there were too larger triangles opposite each other.
I moved my light source around several times to create different effects but I really like the one that I ended up with.  At first I had the light source pointing straight down through the top to make a patter on the floor of the box.  Then I changed it so that the light shined in from an angle through the front of the box creating a pattern on the floor and back wall of the box.
With incorporating the skewers and the bristol board I originally had the skewers connecting each set of triangles and I tried to incorporate the bristol board but it just made it look too busy.

For my final model I decided to change all four of the triangles to be the same size and I chose the smaller size because the larger size triangles would not have worked the way that I wanted them too.  Then I took the skewers and stuck them straight down through the center of the triangles so that they came out at the point and extended the triangles and showed the direction of the light.  I like the shadow of the X that it makes of the floor of the box and then the light areas on all sides of the X.  If this were an actual space I think it would be a room where something was on display like a museum or a gallery because between the downward pointing triangles on the ceiling, the downward pointing bamboo skewers, and the light and shadow triangles on the floor they all point to the center of the black X on the floor. 
Front View

Interior of box

I also really like how when the light is shining down into my box the front triangle is silhouetted and then the light shines directly on the back triangle to make it really bright.
Interior shot of ceiling cuts

Interior view of cuts in top

Top view

No comments:

Post a Comment