Sunday, August 21, 2011

Summer Deck Project

Over the summer my brother and I replaced the older section of the deck at my mom's house. Originally we made up the designs for it to be a lot like the deck that had been there before. However, somewhere along the way in the planning and designing process we came up with the idea to turn it into a deck/patio area with a lattice wall and a pergola. We spent the beginning of the summer working on the planning, sketches, and other things. Then we started building it in the beginning of July and the deck portion of the project was finished before I left for school but my brothers are in charge of finishing the patio now that I'm back at school and they are the only ones left in Raleigh to do it. Unfortunately, I didn't think to take pictures of the original deck before we tore it out but here are some pictures of the building of the new deck and how it turned out.

Trying to dig the holes for the posts by hand.
It didn't work out so well with all the hard red clay.
So instead we rented a drill to dig the holes with, which went much faster.
The hole for one of the railing posts.
The posts for the pergola are in place.
The 2300 pounds of gravel my brother gave
me the joy of moving by myself. 
All done!
Gravel is in place and we started the decking.
Stair supports.
The stairs are done!
Lattice under the deck is finished.
Another view of the lattice.
The pergola is up.
Almost done with the deck!
Railing is complete and the posts are carved.
Lattice wall is done!
The deck portion is finally done!
Finished!
All done!


Completely finished design with plants and all. 



No comments:

Post a Comment