Sunday, October 3, 2010

A place for twelve twigs

For my place for twelve twigs my inspiration for their place was the layers of bark on the twigs. When I first got my twigs I carved the bark off of one of my twigs and realized there were three layers. 

For my first model I started out by using hemp threaded through the paper to hold the twigs into the paper and then connect the transparent duct tape over where the hemp went through.  The duct tape was an interesting element because it resembled the appearance of the bark on the original stick.  

Then for my second model I made a sketch model with four twigs.  I changed the from from what it was in the first model to a cylindrical form with a spiral of duct tape wrapping around the entire cylinder.  

However, even though it worked in the second model when I tried to make a bigger version of it for my third model it did not go nearly as well.  Instead of one piece of duct tape I used two and crossed them on each other to make a double helix form. However, in the end none of these forms worked very well without looking sloppy other then my very first model.

For my final model I went back to the original form that I used in the very first model that I created for this project.  Although I changed some minor details such as the I moved the hemp so that it was at the very top and very bottom of the twigs and then cut out the center and had the duct tape go through the center of the cut out window of the form.  Instead of threading the hinge together I used the same kind of hinge that I used for my leaf project because it worked really well with that project and I thought it would also look good with this one.
Final Model
Final Model up close
Final Model
Final Model looking down from top.
Final Model
Final Model up close

No comments:

Post a Comment