Thursday, September 29, 2011

D.C. Presenation

During the class trip to Washington D.C. I was assigned to visit the National Museum of Natural Science, the National Museum of American Indian, and the American Art Museum and Portrait Gallery. The thing that I chose to focus my presentation on was the circulation through the lobby spaces and the museums as well as way finding and curiosity. I chose to focus on these aspects due to the fact that these are all areas in which the Greensboro Historical Museum needs improvement. I thought that the Natural History Museum was the most successful museum, because of the successful circulation and how it was designed to show you little windows into the exhibits to draw you into the spaces and experience the museum. There were signs for clear way finding and the space was very exciting and inviting. The circulation tough the lobby space of the Natural History Museum and into the exhibits made me think of a spiral, because you have to go out around the lobby in a circle to get to the exhibits and then you have to do the same thing on the second floor. The American Indian Museum also had a similar spiral formation in the lobby but I did not find the circulation in this building or in the American Art Museum to be as successful as the Natural History Museum.

I thought that the trip to D.C. and then the presentation tying together our current projects with some of the things we saw in D.C. was very useful. I did not take the time to really practice my speech so I feel that it I had the presentation could have been much better. I need to work on not using verbal fillers such as um and just pause to collect my thoughts instead. I have had a lot of speakers from the speaking center come in to several of my classes especially in my communications class I took last semester so most of the information that they covered I already knew but it was still helpful. I did not visit the speaking center before this presentation but I have been to the speaking center before. For the next presentation I intend to visit the speaking center to get helpful advise on my presentation and to practice more to improve my speech.


Original Presentation Slide
Edited Presentation Slide

No comments:

Post a Comment